History of Montville Township - continued

  
Montville Grows: 1890-1932

In 1890, the Northern Ohio Railroad, later known as the A.C. and Y, was built crossing the northeastern part of Montville Township. A 750 ft. high trestle of 7200 ft. in length was built across the Rocky River Valley and River Road, now knows as River Styx Road. This trestle remains in use today.

As the social life of the township evolved, it was in the late 1890’s that a unique musical group directed by Sammy Ingham, who played the fife, emerged in the community. Members were Bill, Cling, Fred and Bob Neff, Wilber and John Tower, Frank and George Whipple, Charles and Denis Ingham and E.C. Wagner. Three played fifes and the others played the drum.

Another prominent feature of Montville Township around this time was the pioneer monument of Fairfax Smith, erected in 1879 by his son, Linas Smith. It was made of Carara marble, was 6’ in height, bore a good resemblance to the pioneer, and was constructed on the farm burial place of the Smith family. In 1894, after the death of Linas, it was moved to Spring Grove cemetery which has become the family’s burial place.

The Montville Grange was organized in March of 1932 and at one time had a membership of 250 businesses and activities. This organization was set up for farmers to meet together as families and talk over problems, establish better methods of agriculture and provide a social gathering place for all of the township people. The Grange Hall was located on the corner of Poe Road and State Route 57 across from the Poe Methodist Church. They had Friday night fish fry dinners and other suppers for the people of the township who were all mostly farmers at this time.

Montville Comes of Age: 1940-present

In the 1940’s, there was also a general store next to the Grange owned by Steve and Kate Johnson that was later town down along with the Grange for future expansion of the Poe Cemetery.

In 1943, a tornado came through from the west and it took down a barn on Route 3, and then it jumped over to Route 162 between Route 57 and River Styx Road and took down a big barn there on the George Fulton Farm. There were two boys in the barn at the time and they were killed.

In the 1950, Bill Batchelder, now a Congressman, was a local attorney who helped Montville Township establish zoning rules and regulations. Rustic Hills was the first residential home development planned and constructed in the township in the 1960s. Later in the 1970, the Normandy Park Condos were constructed. 

The 1980s and 1990s was a time of great neighborhood growth and development. Today, Montville Township has over 12,000 residents who live in residential neighborhoods.